Sunday, December 18, 2011

My To-Watchlist - Part One

I love movies. I don't discriminate on genres, either. Comedy, scary, thriller, action, romcom, suspenseful, or what have you. I love them all. 
I prefer movies over TV, quite honestly. TV is full of commercials (yes, I realize movies have product placement - but it tends to be less obvious), crappy "reality" shows, and unoriginal jokes. That's not to say I don't watch any TV. I love True Blood (I'm a Trubie!), American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, The Simpson's, Family Guy, Sons of Anarchy, and a few others. My taste in TV is diverse much like my movie preferences. 
I love to watch a big-budget action thriller just as much as I enjoy watching an Independent film. 
I keep up on movie news (NOT the gossip that gets passed off as "news") because it's the best way to hear about new casting, new release dates, movie details, and things like that. IMDb is the best resource I've found so far (I use their Buzz app daily). They have this handy My Watchlist feature that basically bookmarks a movies IMDb profile so you can easily go back an reference it. 
I've decided to share the movies I'm looking forward to seeing. The list is a little long, but don't worry! I'm breaking it up in to a series and I've kept the description down to a minimum. I also decided not to include every single movie in my list, as that would just be too much :).
 The list is in order of upcoming release date.
  • Like Crazy
    • Release date: October 28, 2011, Limited release
    • Description:  A British college student falls for an American student, only to be separated from him when she's banned from the U.S. after overstaying her visa.
    • Why it's on the list: It looks like a great little love story. And what girl isn't a sucker for one of those!? Anton Yelchin is a talented young actor (Fright Night and Middle of Nowhere are two of his best). Also, I can relate to the long distance relationship story line.
  • Anonymous
    • Release date: October 28, 2011, Limited release
    • Description:  A political thriller advancing the theory that it was in fact Edward De Vere, Earl of Oxford who penned Shakespeare's plays; set against the backdrop of the succession of Queen Elizabeth I, and the Essex Rebellion against her.
    • Why it's on the list: You're telling me you have evidence that Shakespeare was a fraud?! Mon Dieu!! I'm not in to "political thrillers", but I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory. It's amazing how many modern day phrases we use that were coined by The Bard himself. Not only phrases, but movie plots - modern adaptions or just a rough story lines. I'm curious to see how the story plays out. And more importantly, if I believe it.
  • A Lonely Place to Die
    • Release date: November 11, 2011, Limited release
    • Description:  A group of five mountaineers are hiking and climbing in the Scottish Highlands when they discover a young Serbian girl buried in a small chamber in the wilderness. They become caught up in a terrifying game of cat and mouse with the kidnappers as they try to get the girl to safety.
    • Why it's on the list: A movie that looks like it has promising cinematography is exciting. This, combined with fast-paced action and very little places to hide sounds  great. Mellisa George was in a few of my favorite films (Turistas, 30 Days of Night, and The Amityville Horror remake). 
  • Melancholia
    • Release date: November 11, 2011, Limited release
    • Description:  Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide into the Earth.
    • Why it's on the list: A plant is on a crash course for Earth, ehe?? Not sure how I feel about that, but Lars von Trier is known to have great character development in his films which is something that is lacking in most most. Kirstin Dunst is generating some serious Oscar buzz for her performance (she won Best Actress for this roll at Cannes this year). It also boasts a great ensemble cast. While it runs long (almost two and a half hours), I hear it's worth the time. A thought provoking film is always something I look forward to.
  • Haywire
    • Release date: January 20, 2012
    • Description:  A black ops super soldier seeks payback after she is betrayed and set up during a mission.
    • Why it's on the list: A black ops super soldier?! SOLD! I'm a sucker for an action movie with a strong female lead (Think: Tomb Raider, the Resident Evil and Underworld franchises). It also has an impressive cast; even if the lead is a relative new-comer. I'm not going in to this film thinking: "Oh, great! A character driven piece that makes me identify with the character and her strife and struggles!". No, I'm going in to this film to see this bitch kick some major ass. Because sometimes, that's all you really need in a movie.
  • The Innkeepers
    • Release date: February 3, 2012
    • Description:  During the final days at the Yankee Pedlar Inn, two employees determined to reveal the hotel's haunted past begin to experience disturbing events as old guests check in for a stay.
    • Why it's on the list: I loooove a good scary movie! It clearly takes place in an old haunted house, and I'm assuming the house is a character in itself - which is awesome (I'm thinking it's like The Others). Good ghost stories are always intriguing. Also Sara Paxton was great in The Last House on the Left remake. This should be good.

Here is part one. I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be many comedies coming out in the next few months. Or, I should say comedies that look like something I want to see. 

Stay tuned for Part Two!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment