Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Breakfast cups

I've been seeing these delicious little cups floating all over Pinterest lately. They look easy enough. And I always love a new recipe that requires very little ingredients, and/or supplies, and/or steps. As illustrated by this post.
I'm not a bacon fan, but my husband is, so I figured he'd appreciate these. 
Supplies you'll need
Half cooked bacon
Bread cups

Ready to bake!
Perfectly cooked!
Yes, they are as good as they look!
Ingredients:
  1. Six slices of whole-wheat bread
  2. Six slices if low-sodium bacon
  3. Six large eggs
  4. Salt and ground pepper

Supplies:

  1. Muffin tin
  2. Pam cooking spray
  3. Rolling pin (if desired)
  4. Kniffe (if desired)

Directions:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a frying pan, start cooking the bacon over medium heat. Four minutes on one side, then one minute on the other. Do not fully cook the bacon, it will continue cooking in the oven. 
  3. Slightly flatten the bread with your hand (or rolling pin). Once it's flat, press bread in to the muffin tin. Then tear (or cut) off the excess bread. The bread needs to come up to the edge of the cup.
  4. Wrap bacon around the inside of the bread cup.
  5. Crack an egg open over each cup. Careful to keep as much of the egg in the bacon as possible.
  6. Salt and pepper the egg to taste.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Until egg white are just set. (My gas oven took 21 minutes).
  8. Serve and enjoy :)

Cook's notes:

  1. While the bacon was cooking, I was working with the bread. Since the bacon only needs to cook for a few minutes, it was done while I was still fussing with the bread. I put the bacon between paper towels to soak up some grease - not necessary, though. Multi-tasking at it's finest.
  2. This recipe called for butter to coat the muffin tin and then the bread cup; I didn't do this. I sprayed the tin with Pam, but I forgot to lightly butter the bread. Fortunately, it turned out just fine. I could see an issue though if I over cooked it. 
  3. My bacon was just slightly too cooked for this recipe. The bacon wasn't as plyable as it should be. 
  4. Some recipes state lay the bacon over the cup, some even use two slices of bacon to make an X in the middle of the cup. I wrapped it, because i think it looks better. 
  5. Standard muffin pans come in 6- or 12-cup size; if baking 6 items in a 12-cup pan, leave empty space in between. Nonstick pans are nice but not essential. Beware of very thin pans, which often lead to burning.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment